Making a Kite is only half the fun
The Malay Bird kite kit with its easy-to-make pattern and blank canvas inspires creativity. You'll have your own one-of-a-kind kite in the air in no time!
We have made it easier than ever to enjoy kite flying by making the whole experience memorable. The kits are easy to assemble and come with a sample kite pattern to build ahead of time. Decorating the kite is fun for children because they can use their favorite colors, symbols and patterns to make something that is their very own. The best part is that the flat, two-stick Malay bird kite is one of the easiest to fly. You need only scissors, tape and whatever materials you want to use for decorating the kite. (Since these patterns are plastic, you need to use permanent markers. Any marker that is water soluble will only smear on the plastic.)
Please note: The kite kit is assembled by a vocational opportunity center. By purchasing our kite kits, you are employing an adult living with disabilities.
- The Malay Bird Kite Kit comes with materials to make 20 individualized kites:
- Contains 20 imprinted sails with a tail pattern.
- Includes 20 sets of pre-cut sticks.
- Includes 20 winders with kite string.
- The enclosed workshop packet contains the history, science and culture of kites, time-saving suggestions, activities, and additional readings.
- Instructions and kite safety tips come imprinted on the plastic to make construction easier. Additional step-by-step instructions come with the sample.
- The sample kite pattern included in your order allows you to make a sample kite ahead of time.
- Each kite kit is 24” x 24” with about a 9’ single tail
- Pre-cut birch sticks, 24“ long (2 per kite)
- Flying line (150' wrapped around a plastic handle)
- The plastic rates a ♶ for recycling.
More Information About Malay Kites... on a Roll®
Of all the kites out there, this flat, two-stick kite has the most storied past. The kites were made to contact the wind spirits, to be part of the native ritual and folklore, and to actually catch fish.
Today, these kites bring joy to all ages and generations together. Few activities are as carefree and fun as flying a kite.
Add on some great accessories for your kites, or find other kite making kits that better suite your next event! If you don’t want to use the tail pattern, you can purchase our tail material or ribbon to be the tail.
For great information on how to make the most out of your Malay Bird kite making experience, view our tips and activities page.